Sweating and Thermoregulation Assignment- 600 words

Sweating and Thermoregulation Assignment- 600 words

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

Sweating and Thermoregulation

Name

Course

Institution

Instructor

Date

 

 

Sweating and Thermoregulation

During exercise, the body produces energy to facilitate the increased energy requirements. On the other hand, only 20% of the energy is used in muscle contraction and relaxation. Therefore, the remaining 80% of the energy is converted to heat which results in the increased body temperature (Matsumura, et al., 2021). The heat is then distributed into the whole body and that is why the increased temperature is felt in all systems.

Relationship between Sweating and Body Temperature

The body has a mechanism of controlling the body temperature. When the body’s temperature is high as evident during the exercise, the blood vessels dilate and get near the skin surface. Sweating is a bodily function that regulates the body’s temperature. On the other hand, when the body is cold, the blood vessels constrict and the sweat glands do not produce sweat. The sweat glands produce sweat which eventually evaporates from the body surface. The fluid requires heat energy to evaporate (Yousef & Varacallo, 2018). The heat used in the evaporation is derived from the body and thus causing a cooling effect. The body loses heat to the environment and thus restoring the temperature to the normal reading.

The Feedback System

Sweating is negative feedback that aims at reducing the body’s temperature. For example, during the exercise, the body generated energy which is used while the excess is distributed in the body. The body responds to reduce the body’s temperature through sweating. Homeostasis is the process through which the body maintains a favorably stable and optimal environment for physiological functioning. Therefore, the body responds through the various feedback systems depending on the presenting characteristics. For example, if the body is too cold, there will be no sweating and instead, the blood vessels will constrict to preserve as much heat as possible. On the other hand, when the body’s temperature rises, the negative feedback (sweating) is activated which eventually reduces the temperature.

Components in the Feedback System

The three components in any feedback system include the receptor, integration center, and effector. The receptors sense the environmental stimuli and this case, the increase in the body’s temperature. The normal body temperature is 37 degrees Celsius. The nerve cells with their endings in the skin serve as the effectors. A sensed high temperature is then transmitted into the regulatory center or the brain (Tan & Knight, 2018). Thereafter, the brain instructs the sweat glands to produce sweat to help reduce the body’s temperature.

Definition of the Components in the Feedback System

The effecter system senses the environmental surroundings and detects any abnormal conditions that need to be corrected. The nerves in the skin are sensitive to changes in environmental conditions, pain, and touch. Therefore, they help in detecting the increased body temperature and environmental temperatures (McKechnie & Wolf, 2019). On the other hand, the brain is the system that regulates all the physiological functioning. The brain communicates to the effector organs which eventually sends a signal to the reflective organs. In this case, the brain sends a signal that activates the sweat glands to produce sweat. The sweat glands are coiled tubular organs that control the body’s temperature. The three types of sweat glands include the eccrine, apoeccrine, and apocrine.

Conclusion

The body uses a feedback system to control its temperature. At high temperatures, the sweat glands are activated to produce sweat which eventually evaporates on the skin surface leaving a cooling effect.

References

Matsumura, K., Iwasaka, T., Mizuno, S., Mizuno, I., Hayanami, H., Sawada, K., … & Shiojima, I. (2021). Effect of exercise training on body temperature in the elderly: a retrospective cohort study. Geriatrics6(1), 3.

McKechnie, A. E., & Wolf, B. O. (2019). The physiology of heat tolerance in small endotherms. Physiology34(5), 302-313.

Tan, C. L., & Knight, Z. A. (2018). Regulation of body temperature by the nervous system. Neuron98(1), 31-48.

Yousef, H., & Varacallo, M. (2018). Physiology, Thermal Regulation. StatPearls.

Sweating and Thermoregulation Assignment- 600 words

Get a 5 % discount on an order above $ 20
Use the following coupon code :
topwritersleague